Position Title: Continuous Improvement Manager
Location: Neenah, WI
Under the direction of the Neenah Converting Center Operations Manager, this position is responsible for helping drive continuous improvement in a specific facility and company KPI’s (safety, quality, cost, throughput) through the implementation and use of Mativ Lean Tools and is responsible for the ongoing management of continuous improvement initiatives. This role will drive facility initiatives and improvement through both strategic and tactical leadership, both day to day and against long term strategy.
1. Lead the development of a continuous improvement culture at the Neenah Converting Center that is high in personal accountability and engagement.
- Live Mativ values while executing facility goals
- Champion work environment with ZERO incident target
- Assist in quality initiatives that robustly document incoming issues as well as create protocol for prevention of issues on internal assets
- Assist in identification of cost improvement opportunities, including leading and execution of capital and organic projects
- Drive converting excellence in throughput through equipment optimization and standard adherence or excess
- Potentially manage process engineers as the site’s operational structure is optimized to support asset operating hours and goal achievement.
- Mativ Lean System (IMPACT) Champion, training, and deployment for the NCC team.
- Manifest culture and execution change through coaching of employees to live IMPACT and Lean behaviors, and follow the principles and practices of IMPACT
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship/communication strategy with all NCC employees driving engagement throughout the organization
- Establish common methodology for assessing, risk mitigation, problem solving, project management to include (but not limited to); EHS, Quality, Asset Integrity, & Productivity
- Train and coach employees on IMPACT tools and processes such as 5S, 5 Why, Problem Solving, Visual Management, etc.
- Create sustainable floor communication tools to engage operations, maintenance, and managers on the status of execution against facility objectives
- On occasion, will help fill supervision vacancies (<10 per year)
2. Develop internal capability to sustain improvement against strategy of corporate and site-specific goals
- Collaborate with Lean leaders within the site and outside the site to create a structure for sustainable continuous improvement
- Lead and mentor a team focused on strategic initiatives that drive value creation and waste elimination.
- Work with onsite team as well as cross-functional resource groups on project development and implementation as part of larger facility and organizational strategy
- Perform or assign Gemba Walks or other techniques with the goal of identifying problems and implementing systems to fix and sustain solutions to issues
- Challenge teams to manage the process of Continuous Improvement (RIE & MDI) and resolve issues in a systematic and timely manner
- Lead execution and coaching of visual workplace through 5S process (sort, set in order, shine, standardize, sustain) across all work areas
- Work with necessary site personnel to identify, address, and eliminate process related obstacles
- Ensure visual management tools, including Mission Control and MDI (Managing For Daily Improvement) boards are maintained and properly utilized.
3. Develop & Manage KPI Dashboard for daily management and help lead value creation and cost offsetting activities
- Perform regular value stream analysis that feed a pipeline of value creation activities ensuring a sustainable continuous improvement process.
- Adhere to Mission Control Standard Work (Updates, Pre-Event, Post-Event, Tracker, Countermeasures)
- Work with teams on Pre-Event and Post-Event follow-up and checklist updates
- Model continuous improvement by encouraging and coaching teams to utilize Process Control Boards (PCBs) and evaluate daily improvement efforts identifying issues and solutions to meet area goals
- Proficiency in MS Office, good communication skills, both verbal and digital and other data proficiency
- 3-5 years in continuous improvement and/or operational experience demonstrating aptitude in driving improvement preferred
- A four-year degree in engineering, management, paper science or related technical field is desired, or equivalent experience
- Prior related experience in a process-oriented manufacturing environment and continuous improvement processes such as Lean and Six Sigma will be helpful
- Green Belt or Black Belt a plus
- A demonstrated track record of proven performance and ability to lead teams.
- Experience with customer interactions; ideally collaborating with others to help define needs, identify solutions, and resolve problems.
- Enjoys working with and collaborating with members of operations, marketing, sales, and cross functional groups