Position Title: SR PROCESS ENGINEER, TECHNICAL
location: whiting mill
Mativ is the newly created company through the combination of SWM and Neenah. This is an exciting opportunity for both companies to come together and create a global leader in specialty materials and solutions with approximately $3B in sales generated through our complementary products, innovation capabilities, customers, and attractive end-markets. Together, there is potential to create significant value for our customers, shareholders, and, most importantly, our employees. Mativ is headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia. The Company offers a wide range of critical components and engineered solutions to solve our customers’ most complex challenges. With over 7,500 employees worldwide, we manufacture on four continents and generate sales in more than 100 countries. We offer a wide range of premium applications across diversified and growing end markets, from filtration to healthcare to sustainable packaging. Our broad portfolio of technologies combines polymers, fibers, and resins to optimize the performance of our customers’ products across multiple stages of the value chain. Our leading positions are a testament to our best-in-class global manufacturing, supply chain, and materials science capabilities. We drive innovation and enhance performance, finding potential in the impossible.
Mativ’s Whiting Mill is looking for a Sr. Process Engineer to join our dynamic team where your experience and efforts make a difference. This position will be located in Stevens Point, WI supporting our Technical department. The incumbent will work to support key initiatives and help drive and achieve short and long-term goals. This position will be expected to help look at the overall business (from raw materials to finished product), prioritize process improvements needs, work with the team to find solutions and take responsibility for implementing those solutions.
The incumbent will provide technical support and guidance to manufacturing production crews to meet production and quality goals while emphasizing safe working practices and collaborating with maintenance to optimize equipment. The ideal candidate has the attitude, initiative, and excellent skills to support Mativ’s collaborative, high-achievement culture.
- Provide technical expertise to modify existing mill process and/or add new processes that will improve quality and increase profitability.
- Provide technical knowledge to improve quality of existing products and/or new product development.
- Provide technical assistance to improve process control.
- Complete cost optimization projects that provide significant savings through product substitution, reduced variability, improved quality, and higher operating efficiencies.
- Carry out process improvement/optimization work including planning and supervising in-mill production trials. Determine areas requiring process improvements and coordinate efforts for achievement.
- Write technical reports that clearly document trials, process improvement results, and capture cause and effect relationships.
- Provide assistance to production in evaluating operation of major equipment and assist in design of modifications and changes required; aid operating personnel to better understand their processes.
- Utilize process information systems to analyze production trends; assist in troubleshooting and identify possible improvements.
- Support development and execution of capital projects.
- Identify and develop non-capital process improvement projects to help the overall efficiency of the entire system in all aspects of production.
- Use Lean concepts when implementing and developing change.
- Maintain effective communications and working relationships with production supervision and operating personnel as well as product development, suppliers, asset development, maintenance, IT, environmental, sales and marketing, research, engineering, and purchasing.
- Develop proficiency in the use of mill information systems including ABB and Oracle.
- Perform other responsibilities related to position, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, chemistry, or a related area such as pulp and paper science, and at least three years’ experience which demonstrates process troubleshooting and analytical problem-solving abilities.
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years of Process Engineer experience in paper mill, coating, saturating or converting operations is preferred.
- Must have the ability to design and evaluate equipment and processes in terms of chemistry, control strategies, mechanical integrity, energy transfer, thermodynamics, mass transfer, and fluid dynamics.
- Understanding of activities and procedures required for efficient and quality work completion.
- Strong computer skills including, but not limited to a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Project. Experience with Oracle is helpful.
- Strong leadership and communication skills with the ability to communicate within all levels of the organization.
- Ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced production setting
- Experience in a Lean Manufacturing environment is a distinct plus.